YES. McDonald’s salads can be very unhealthy. You might think that you are being healthy by eating a salad at McDonald’s but you may be surprised to find out that most of their salads have more calories and fat than their cheeseburgers.
McDonald’s Southwest Crispy Chicken Salad: 480 Calories, with 24 grams of fat.
McDonald’s Bacon McDouble Cheeseburger: 440 Calories, with 22 grams of fat.
The reason that the salads are so unhealthy is due to the fact that they come with a lot of high calorie foods. First off, the salad comes with a very high fat dressing. Most dressings have well over 10 grams of fat which is a lot of unnecessary calories. Next, most salads come with croutons. Croutons are extremely high in calories which boost up the salad’s calories. Next most salads come with cheese, high in fat and calories, and other sorts of tortilla chips. Finally, if it wasn’t bad enough, the salad then comes with various meats! In the example above the salad came with Crispy chicken. This is deep fried chicken which is extremely unhealthy.
How do I make McDonald’s salads less unhealthy
If you are ever stuck at eating at McDonalds, you should learn some tips on how to order a healthier salad.
- If you want chicken on your salad ask for grilled chicken, this is a lot healthier than crispy.
- Ask for low fat dressing, by default they will give you the full fat dressing.
- If you can eat your salad without dressing you will be saving A LOT of fat and calories.
- Get your salad without croutons. As mentioned before they are extremely high in sodium and fat
- Avoid additional toppings such as cheese if you can
- McDonald’s offers a side salad which has 20 calories! This is their healthiest option (assuming you don’t use dressing)
At their core, salads are very healthy, but the way Americans like to eat them is very unhealthy. So the next time you are McDonald’s and trying to lose weight, reconsider that your “healthy” salad may not be so healthy after all.